7/08/2009

Falling Into a Vat of Chocolate

22-year-old factory worker died Wednesday after he fell into a vat of boiling chocolate at a manufacturing plant in New Jersey, police said.

The Camden County prosecutor's office identified the victim as Vincent Smith II. He was a temporary worker at the Cocoa Services Inc. plant.

Smith had been in the melting pot for about 10 minutes by the time rescue crews arrived, MyFOXPhilly.com reported.

Prosecutor's spokesman Jason Laughlin says a co-worker tried to shut off the machine and two others tried to pull Smith out of the 8-foot-deep vat. He was hit and fatally injured by the agitator that mixes the chocolate.

By the time he was pulled out of the tank just after 11 a.m., he was already dead.

The plant is owned by Lyons and Sons.

The cause of the accident was not immediately known. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration was called in to investigate, MyFOXPhilly.com reported.

Saw this on Fox News today and it reminded me of a Smothers Brothers skit. So I found a copy of it to share. And this is post #200

7 comments:

Abigail said...

So uh. . .are they going to say what company the factory works for so we can avoid that brand of chocolate?
Oh wait, I can't eat chocolate anyway, haha.

*Lyndsey said...

seriously...I have been singing that all day, since you sent it to me.

But I wouldn't talk to them...

*Lyndsey said...

Casey just looked at me and said, "You have GOT to be kidding me" as I was sitting here giggling and listening to that skit.

Stefanie Nicole Barker said...

Kira you are too nice for the donation offer! :) And girls like me will be forever appreciative of the carefulness in keeping the bins organized :)

Kate Coveny Hood said...

That's horrible! I only associate chocolate with the happiest thoughts. So to have chocolate turn against you like that. Such a betrayal.

Kira =] said...

Yeah, my chocoholic mom's comment: Oh that's so sad, now they'll have to throw away all that chocolate.

Anonymous said...

What a horrible way to go! I'm with Kate.